Organizations/VIPs/Others Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
"Through annual scientific meetings, the American Journal of Gastroenterology, Nature Reviews Gastroenterology & Hepatology, regional postgraduate training courses and research grants, the ACG provides its members with the most accurate and up-to-date scientific information on digestive health and the etiology, symptomatology and treatment of GI disorders. ACG's advocacy in the public policy arenas, and the work of the ACG's 22 committees have made tremendous strides with many premiere accomplishments to improve the future of clinical gastroenterology and the quality of care available to patients with GI conditions and diseases, today. The information exchange and training acquired through College membership provide physicians with the knowledge necessary to offer the most effective patient care and to meet the challenges of today's changing health care system."
"About ACG," www.gi.org (accessed Jan. 21, 2010)
"The mission of the American College of Gastroenterology shall be to advance the medical treatment and scientific study of gastrointestinal disorders. The College will strive to serve the evolving needs of physicians in the delivery of high quality scientific, humanistic, clinical, ethical, and cost-effective health care to gastroenterology patients.
Our goals are:
1. To provide continuing medical education to clinicians through scientific publications, meetings, and multimedia, web-based offerings;
2. To represent the clinician in national and local health care policy issues to ensure that the best interests of patient care and clinical medicine are served;
3. To promote and provide assistance in education to clinical gastroenterologists and fellows-in-training in cost-effective, efficient, and high quality practice management;
4. To promote, encourage and support clinical research in gastroenterologic disorders through the ACG Institute for Clinical Research;
5. To be a source of educational information for patients with gastrointestinal disorders and their families and to provide liaison with patient advocacy organizations for those with gastrointestinal and hepatic disorders."