- Con to the question "Is Obesity a Disease?"
“The American Medical Association (AMA) has decided to classify obesity as a disease. This decision is another example of inventing illnesses – a favorite pastime of the American Psychiatric Association (APA) – and another step towards eroding people’s autonomy and making them passive participants in their health. It is also an example of how the medical establishment is laying the groundwork to bill Medicare and Medicaid for every bad choice anyone makes, ever.
With the exception of when obesity is caused by a known pathology, such as hypothyroidism (which, while making weight loss more difficult, would certainly not completely prevent it), it is largely caused by poor decisions—like binging on food or eating lots of candy, ice cream or Cheetos…
Last time I checked, there was no known gene that would make people veer off into the McDonald’s drive-through lane or direct them to choose whole milk over 1 percent milk. No known gene can make you raid the refrigerator at midnight. No known gene can make you drive past six gyms on your way to work and stop at none of them…
The AMA, in classifying obesity as a disease, furthers the dependency, disempowerment and entitlement culture that is eroding scientific truth and personal autonomy in America.”
“Dr. Keith Ablow: Obesity Is Not a Disease – and Neither Is Alcoholism,” www.foxnews.com, June 20, 2013
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with MDs or PhDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to obesity and health. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to obesity and health.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Forensic psychiatrist, certified Apr. 13, 1999-present
- Psychiatrist, certified Apr. 30, 1993-present
- Assistant Clinical Professor, Tufts University School of Medicine
- Expert, “Normal or Nuts” segment, Fox and Friends, 2012-present
- Forensic Psychiatrist, Lou Dobbs Tonight, 2012-present
- Psychiatry Expert, Fox News, 2007-present
- Contributing Editor, Good Housekeeping
- TV Host, The Dr. Keith Ablow Show, 2006-2007
- Former Medical Director, Heritage Health Systems
- Former Medical Director, Tri-City Mental Health Centers
- Former Columnist, US News & World Report and USA Today
- Former Psychiatry Resident, Tufts/New England Medical Center, 1987-1992
- Former Reporter, Newsweek
- Former freelance writer, Washington Post and Baltimore Sun
- Former Medical Editor and Producer, Lifetime Medical Television
- MD, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, 1987
- BS, Neural Science, Brown University, 1983
- Contact Info:
- Dr. Ablow holds Massachusetts psychiatry and forensic psychiatry certificates
- Twitter handle is @keithablow
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Is Obesity a Disease?