- Chairperson of the Department of General Surgery at Rush University Medical Center Department
- Pro to the question "Is Obesity a Disease?"
“Obesity is absolutely a disease that requires a range of interventions and medical management… People may say ‘just eat less, have will power’ but they just don’t understand that simply does not work for many people.
Successfully treating obesity shouldn’t just be measured in lost pounds, but in not escalating to other diseases. Obesity is a base condition that then leads to or worsens so many others diseases like diabetes, high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, sleep apnea, arthritis, and even cancer.”
“Obesity Is Not a Character Flaw, Expert Says,” medicalxpress.com, Apr. 11, 2017
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with MDs or PhDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to obesity and health. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to obesity and health.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Chairperson, Department of General Surgery, Rush University Medical Center, Jan. 2017-present
- Professor and Section Chief of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, Department of General Surgery, Rush University Medical Center, June 2015-present
- Former Director, Duke Center for Metabolic and Weight Loss Surgery
- Former Director, Obesity Research, Duke University Medical Center
- Former Chief, Division of Metabolic Weight Loss Surgery, Duke University Medical Center
- Former Associate Professor of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center
- Former Resident, Oregon Health & Science University Hospital
- Former Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
- MS, Vanderbilt University, 2003
- MD, University of Rome Tor Vergata School of Medicine, 1988
- Contact Info:
- 312-942-4444, Rush University Surgeons
- None found
- Rush University Medical Center Profile
- None found
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Is Obesity a Disease?